I say my fair share of things that may allude to the fact that I want a different home…
“In the dream house, I won’t have to do this anymore!” This, of course, could be any number of things…
“I can’t wait to have laundry on the main floor in the next house!” You know, so I don’t have to do laundry in the dungeon that is the basement.
“Someday, I can’t wait to have a big soaking bathtub!” Instead of the little non-existent tub we have now.
In reality, I adore my home and the thought of leaving it for something else makes me very uncomfortable. At least for now. I love this house in which Matt and I have started our lives together. I like to think that when it’s time to upgrade for some more space on a quieter road, we’ll know it’s the right time.
So, in honor of Valentine’s Day - the day of love and all that jazz, I’ll be laying out 10 things I absolutely love about my house.
1. The counter space. I have a lot of working space and it’s a good thing, too. I’ve been known to really spread out when I’m prepping for something as easy as a pasta salad.
2. The cabinet space. Even with quite a few small appliances, copious amounts of entertaining paraphernalia, and enough bake ware to serve a small army, I still have unused cabinets. I know a lot of people don’t have this kind of cabinet space and I’m very grateful for it. It helps to keep #1 quite neat and tidy. Just the way I like it.
3. The back window. It’s a good size, and it provides to us an unobstructed view of the back yard and the back woods. Also, the light the window lets in during the late afternoon hours is heavenly. The light is perfectly filtered through the weeping willows.
Speaking of weeping willows…
4. Our weeping willows. In the spring, summer, and fall, the leaves on these majestic, graceful trees sway gently with the breeze, creating shadows from the setting sun that make my heart smile. We have have four of these gentle giants on our property and they make me oh so happy.
5. The front porch. I didn’t grow up with a front porch, and the novelty of it hasn’t worn off. It’s in need of a facelift, (planned for this year) but it’s still cozy. Matt and I love to have a beer in the rockers, happily watching the world pass us by.
6. The brick column. Yes, it may be smack dab in the middle of our kitchen/dining area, but it provides so much character to the space. It makes me feel like our home is truly unique.
7. The window over the kitchen sink. For the amount of time that I spend at that damn sink, I better be able to watch my pup play in the yard.
8. The gardens. The gardens on this property are in a never ending state of evolution (maintained by yours truly). They are constantly being added to and moved around, to make way for more flowers and bushes and beauty. There are few things I’d rather do on sunny Saturday than tend to my gardens. I can’t wait to get back in the dirt in another month. (Fingers crossed!)
9. The exposed beams. Although I have plans to white wash the dark beams in our home, I love that we have them exposed the way they are. Not unlike the brick column, they add charm and distinction to an otherwise “builder’s grade” space.
10. The tenants. Our fur-baby ups the cuteness factor in all areas of this home, while Matt consistently gives life to my dreams. I wouldn’t want to share my little slice of paradise with anyone else.
What about you guys? Are there any spots in your home that you feel lucky to have? Do you have a favorite room or a certain detail? Spill it! Happy Valentine’s Day, too. To you and your homes.
P.S. You can see most of these things, with the exception of the outdoor spaces, on the house tour page!